October 17, 2006

Practice Prenatal's

Well this is our prenatal room. It is also the classroom, the only air conditioned room at the clinic, the birth certificate room, the test taking room, the nap taking room... and whatever else.

So this morning, in this very room, I had the privilege of doing a prenatal check-up's on about a dozen women. Six other midwives were working this morning also for the prenatal time... so you can imagine that there was quite the number of ladies that came through.

I think that doing prenatal's is a privilege... and most of the time I consider it a joy to be learning this art. Today was not really different in that regard, but so different in many others!

My supervisor Jenn told me today that I was to do all the prenatal’s by myself... and she would just sit there... AND WATCH MY EVERY MOVE!!! Don't worry... she is a really great lady... I like her a lot, and consider it a privilege to work with her... but can I say, a little intimidating?!

All in all, it went well... though I can't wait to know more Visyan! Trying to counsel someone regarding their pregnancy, when you know like 40 words of their language, at best, it can be a bit rough!

So that was the morning... and in the afternoon we had our second test, after handing in our second assignment on Friday! Yippee! I do like writing tests... so that was fun.

These pics are all from the afternoon with my classmates and friends here. There are no such thing as practice prenatal’s at Mercy... you practice doing the real thing... but we thought we'd have a bit of fun, and Jenna practiced being preggo... and I practiced doing a prenatal on her. So I'm just listing to her baby's fetal heart tones... and measuring her fundal height. Her baby's doing great in my books! Right on schedule.

Like I said earlier, these beds are often used for quick naps... and that was Laura taking a little snooze after our test.
This Philipina is Be-Bing. She prepares and files all of the birth certificates for the babies born at Mercy. She is a busy lady! Non-stop job, that's for sure, at a birthing clinic like this one!

2 comments:

jenna and brianna konkle said...

oh GOODness lo, I didn't know my baby and I were going to be exploited on your blog :S hahah. It is a true joy being in a foreign country with you!

Zabrina said...

so neat to hear of all you're up to out there - sounds like you're having a good time! Hope all continues to go well for you.
Much Love!